Richard II
Home Our Family Genealogy Greg Says Trips

The following biographical information, published in 1985, is quoted from the St. Mary's Catholic Church Centennial, Remsen, Iowa, 100 Years, 1885-1985 , page 209.

RICHARD HUGHES (1914-1989)

"Richard Joseph, son of Patrick and Leonie (Kieffer) Hughes, was born on a farm south of Remsen on March 10, 1914 where he is living at the present time.

"During World War II Dick served in the Asiatic and European areas for four years. On March 2, 1946, he and Marie Bernadette McAndrew were married at St. Paul's Catholic Church in Davenport. They established their home on a farm southeast of Remsen.

"They are the parents of six children. Thomas Joseph was born March 20, 1947. He married Patricia Paskert on August 31, 1968 and they farm south of Remsen. He and his two children are members of St. Mary's parish. Robert Phillip was born June 1,1948. On October 10, 1970 he married Linda Ney and they live in Norfolk, Nebraska and have three children. Mary Leona was born May 1, 1949 and married Gregory Woolever on July 27, 1973. They live in Ankeny with their three children where Greg works at Townsend Engineering. John Patrick, born January 9, 1951, married Linda Koopman on August 10, 1973. They live at Le Mars with their two children. John is employed at Ricke's Feed Supply in Remsen and Linda teaches in Gehlen grade school. Kathleen Jane was born March 18, 1954 and lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where she is employed at Northern Telecomm, Inc. Timothy Richard was born October 3, 1958. On August 14, 1982 he married Mary Collison. They live in Carroll where [page 210] Tim teaches in the Carroll high school and Mary teaches at Arcadia.

"Dick served on St. Mary's Church board for 22 years, resigning in 1983. He also served on the Plymouth County Conservation board for 15 years. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and Catholic Order of Foresters. He has been president of the Remsen Sportsman Club for 30 years.

"Dick and Marie continue to live on the family farm southeast of town."